Optimization problem for an NO moleclue

Sorry for my recent questions as a beginner.

I also did optimization calculation for NO (a structure was downloaded from here Nitric Oxide | NO | CID 145068 - PubChem )

But, I got the following error during the optimization, could you suggest me how I can fix it?

(by the way, if there is a list for these kinds of issues which were solved alredy, please teach me it. Best regards)

level = "hf/sto-3g"
energy, wf = psi4.optimize(level, molecule=molecule, return_wfn=True)

mol_input = 0 1
 N 0.7119609710519391 0.0 0.0
 O -0.7119609710519391 0.0 0.0

c: [0]
fc: [0.0]
m: [1]
fm: [1]

ValidationError: Inconsistent or unspecified chg/mult: sys chg: None, frag chg: [0.0], sys mult: None, frag mult: [1]

β€œ0 1” cannot possibly describe NO.

There are multiple places you could be stuck on here: understanding what 0 1 means, understand what spin multiplicity means, or knowing what the correct spin multiplicity is. Where are you stuck?

Thank you for the comment for my begunner question.

I used spin multiplicity of 2 for NO, However, optimization process does not converge as follows, even with psi4.set_options({β€˜MAXITER’: 1000}) # Default is 100

SCFConvergenceError: Could not converge SCF iterations in 1000 iterations.

Are there any tips to avoid the error.

I can’t reproduce the error. Please give me the output file.

psi4_NO_doublets.txt (21.1 KB)

this is ipynb for NO moleclues where the error is shown
thanks

STO-3G is a terrible basis set, which is why converging the wave function to the degree wanted by optimize is hard. The optimization works fine in a more reasonable basis set.

You can get the calculation to converge in STO-3G as well with

molecule {
0 2
 N 0. 0. 0.
 O 0. 0. 1.15
}
set reference uhf
set soscf true
optimize('hf/sto-3g')
2 Likes

Thanks for the kind comment, which is very helpfull for me. Calculation was converged.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.