Info about analytic gradients for wb97m-v or b97m-v functionals for use with OPTIMIZE keyword

Hi,

I am trying to use the recently proposed wb97m-v and b97m-v functionals to optimize molecular geometries.

I found out that, even with the latest stable version available (Psi4 1.2.1, Git: Rev {HEAD} 406f4de), the optimisation step run only with the keyword optimize(‘B97M-V’, dertype=‘energy’), that is with the additional parameter dertype=‘energy’.

Without this parameter for the optimize keyword, I obtain the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/andrea/psi4conda/bin/psi4”, line 269, in
exec(content)
File “”, line 38, in
File “/Users/andrea/psi4conda/lib//python3.6/site-packages/psi4/driver/driver.py”, line 1111, in optimize
G, wfn = gradient(lowername, return_wfn=True, molecule=moleculeclone, **kwargs)
File “/Users/andrea/psi4conda/lib//python3.6/site-packages/psi4/driver/driver.py”, line 638, in gradient
wfn = procedures[‘gradient’][lowername](lowername, molecule=molecule, **kwargs)
File “/Users/andrea/psi4conda/lib//python3.6/site-packages/psi4/driver/procrouting/proc.py”, line 2080, in run_scf_gradient
grad = core.scfgrad(ref_wfn)

RuntimeError:
Fatal Error: V: RKS cannot compute VV10 gradient contribution.
Error occurred in file: /Users/github/builds/conda-builds/psi4-multiout_1530689453513/work/psi4/src/psi4/libfock/v.cc on line: 904

So I am assuming that the analytic gradients for these functionals are not yet available in the stable version. Am I right? Or I am doing something wrong?

Any guess about when they will be available?

Thank you very much for your help.
Cheers,
Andrea

The original hold up was that we did not have range separated gradients available. Now that we do, adding in VV10 should be rather straightforward. Do you have a timetable in mind to get these gradients in?

Hi,

thank you for your kind reply.

About the timetable, since I am (very) interested in using/testing these functionals for obtaining optimised geometries of weakly-bound molecular clusters, I confess that, at least for me, the sooner they will be available the better…

Cheers,
Andrea

This is something that I would like in as well, let me see what I can do. Poke me in a few weeks if you not heard back.

It would be great!
Cheers,
Andrea

Hi,

do you have any updates?

Cheers,
Andrea

We got most of the way there, but there is an additional term that will require infrastructure updates before we can make it work.

Ok, thank you very much for the update.

If you can, please keep me posted.

Cheers,
Andrea