Build failed at libxc_external

Hello,

I am having an issue compiling and installing psi4 from source. I grabbed a fresh copy of everything about 30 min ago.

git clone GitHub - psi4/psi4: Open-Source Quantum Chemistry – an electronic structure package in C++ driven by Python

I then started through the steps for the ‘compact version’ of configuring, compiling and installing psi4.

cd /home/john/psi4
cmake -H. -B/home/john/psi4pcmbuild -DENABLE_PCMSolver=ON

I uploaded the cmake screen result if anyone would like to review.

cd /home/john/psi4pcmbuild
make -jgetconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN

I ran into the following problem which I don’t know how to correct. I also uploaded the full make screen result if anyone would like to review.

[ 98%] Built target xc
[ 99%] Built target xc-info
[100%] Built target xc-threshold
Install the project…
– Install configuration: “Release”
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/include/libxc/xc.h
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/include/libxc/xc_funcs.h
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/include/libxc/xc_version.h
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/include/libxc/xc_funcs_removed.h
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/lib/libxc.a
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/bin/xc-info
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/bin/xc-threshold
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/share/cmake/Libxc/LibxcConfig.cmake
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/share/cmake/Libxc/LibxcConfigVersion.cmake
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/share/cmake/Libxc/LibxcTargets.cmake
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/share/cmake/Libxc/LibxcTargets-release.cmake
– Installing: /home/john/psi4pcmbuild/stage/usr/local/psi4/lib/pkgconfig/libxc.pc/libxc.pc
[ 79%] Completed ‘libxc_external’
[ 79%] Built target libxc_external
Makefile:140: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I don’t think my build was very complex. The only customization was enabling PCMSolver. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

John

make result.txt (132.1 KB)
cmake result.txt (6.2 KB)

Thanks for the traces. (Triple-backtick for formatting blocks of code, btw.) In the middle you’ve got the below. gau2grid wants numpy. Install that and you should be good to go.

[ 45%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/int.dir/hrr_order_h0ff.cc.o
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/home/john/psi4pcmbuild/external/upstream/gau2grid/gau2grid_external-prefix/src/gau2grid_external/gau2grid/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    from . import RSH
  File "/home/john/psi4pcmbuild/external/upstream/gau2grid/gau2grid_external-prefix/src/gau2grid_external/gau2grid/RSH.py", line 6, in <module>
    import numpy as np
ImportError: No module named numpy
CMakeFiles/gg.dir/build.make:61: recipe for target 'gau2grid.h' failed
make[5]: *** [gau2grid.h] Error 1

I already had numpy installed, the problem was making sure psi4 found it during the build.

john@john-Precision-T5600:~$ conda install numpy
Solving environment: done

All requested packages already installed.

john@john-Precision-T5600:~$ conda update numpy
Solving environment: done

All requested packages already installed.

Everything worked fine with the following modification.

cmake -H. -B/home/john/psi4pcmbuild -DENABLE_PCMSolver=ON -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=“/home/john/anaconda3/bin/python3.6” -DPYTHON_LIBRARY=“/home/john/anaconda3/lib/python3.6” -DPYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR=“/home/john/anaconda3/include/python3.6m”

Thank you @loriab for the help!

John

In case it’s useful for further compiles, http://vergil.chemistry.gatech.edu/nu-psicode/install-v1.2rc2.html (select “source”) shows a way to compile psi4 from source but get dependencies from conda. (The psi4-path-advisor seeds your cmake cache with locations of conda deps.)