Multiple scratch areas?

Dear developers,

is it possible to have multiple scratch areas, say /s1, /s2, etc in Psi4? It was possible in Psi3 using the keywords nvolume, volume1, volume2, …

I don’t think we have this feature available in psi4. Dr. Crawford @crawdad could correct me if I am wrong.

I am guessing you don’t have a consolidated scratch disk set ? You could always consolidate your scratch disks into a single RAID system on LINUX. It seems to be a standard practice.

Yes, I do have RAID 0 system. But, for some other reasons, I am interested in evenly splitting the scratch files over several (RAID 0) areas.

As @ashutosh said, to my knowledge, psi4 doesn’t have psi3’s capabilities in this regard. It’s a little more work, but you should be able to direct certain scratch files to certain disks (http://psicode.org/psi4manual/master/external.html#scratch-files-and-elementary-restart) which, if you know the big culprits, can help divide the burden among disks (but probably won’t help I/O, if that’s what you were after).

Thanks for the explanation. I am aware (and using) of this feature of Psi4. However, the idea of having scratch files (especially huge ones) evenly distributed over several areas is more appealing to me :slight_smile:

Yeah, we’d probably have to trade out PSIO for HDF5 or BD to get this back. We’d like to do that, but it’s not next on the agenda.