How to run psi4 on windows 10?

So straight install with

conda install -c psi4/label/dev psi4

gives:

conda install -c psi4/label/dev psi4
Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will retry with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: \
Found conflicts! Looking for incompatible packages.
This can take several minutes.  Press CTRL-C to abort.
failed

UnsatisfiableError:

in successful conda-forge environment psi4 version is:

psi4 1.5a1.dev46+e52a595 py38_0 psi4/label/dev

I’ve added a few bits to the environment now, but I can run another if you want the full conda list

I can confirm this: an install conda create -n test psi4=1.5a1.dev46 -c psi4/label/dev -c psi4 fails to find libxc and gau2grid. With -c conda-forge it works.

Ok, yes, I was addled in my last post. The official base for Psi4 with windows is c-f, whereas for linux and mac it’s defaults. Even says so here: Install v1.4+ | Installs (windows/conda settings).

So the real question is – holding c-f constant – does pre-dev46 not work and dev46 work? I think what @brian and @tetrahydrofuran have been posting is consistent with that, so let me know if there’s any evidence to the contrary.

This section of the manual works very well. I can run psi4 --test without the error I mentioned before in this topic. However, now there is a problem about path. When I use psi4 as python module on Spyder, it gives ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'psi4' . I checked the path, it gives the true directory. Any idea?

@loriab Just to close one issue off, I can confirm fresh install of psi4 1.4 using:

conda install psi4 python=3.8 -c psi4 -c conda-forge

gives:

>>> import psi4
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\*****\.conda\envs\test_stable\lib\site-packages\psi4\__init__.py", line 55, in <module>
    from . import core
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing core: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\*****\.conda\envs\test_stable\lib\site-packages\psi4\__init__.py", line 60, in <module>
    raise ImportError("{0}".format(err))
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing core: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.

install of psi4=1.5a1.dev46 using:

conda install -c conda-forge -c psi4/label/dev psi4

works without issue.

Couple of differences between conda-forge environments:

Psi4 1.4 										Dev46

pydantic	1.3	py38hfa6e2cd_0	psi4    -->   	pydantic	1.8.2	py38h294d835_0	conda-forge
qcelemental	0.17.0	py_0	psi4		--> 	qcelemental	0.22.0	pyhd8ed1ab_0	conda-forge
-----											typing-extensions	3.10.0.0	hd8ed1ab_0	conda-forge
-----											typing_extensions	3.10.0.0	pyha770c72_0	conda-forge

@brian conda install -c conda-forge -c psi4/label/dev psi4 works well in my computer either. Has any problem about running psi4 occurred so far? When I try to use it as a python module, it cannot be imported.

1 Like

@oddyses3 Assume you are installing in Anaconda prompt? And from your post above, I assume psi4 --test runs without errors?

Activate the Conda environment where Psi4 was installed, type python to start interactive python mode. Then import psi4. Does that work?

after installation, I ran file and found following error. Any possible solution?
File “C:\ProgramData\psi4conda\Scripts\psi4-script.py”, line 216, in
raise KeyError(“The file %s does not exist.” % args[“input”])
KeyError: ‘The file - does not exist.’

I only get this error when I run psi4 -. You might have accidentally added an extra space to a flag (e.g. psi4 - h instead of psi4 -h).

@brian Yeah, it finally works. I tried it on Spyder IDE by the time I saw your response. Running it on conda prompt works very well. Thanks!

conda install psi4 python=3.8 -c psi4 -c conda-forge

In other words, use the instructions we have on the download page. Topic closed.