Error in PSIO_WT_TOCLEN()

I’ve got a new build of psi4 running on a CentOS linux cluster that continues to fail for somewhat large jobs where I correlate nearly all the electrons. The only error shows up in the standard error file:

Error in PSIO_WT_TOCLEN()!

nothing posts to the output file. The file system has just over 5 TB of space and the largest psi4 file (file 103) is only 143 GB. The case is only a triatomic molecule (ClO2) in Cs symmetry with 351 active MOS. I’m attempting to do a BCCD calculation, but it always dies after the integral transformation but before the first CCSD iteration. Here is the last few lines:

Size of irrep 0 of tIjAb amplitudes:       9.311 (MW) /     74.484 (MB)
    Size of irrep 1 of tIjAb amplitudes:       4.442 (MW) /     35.533 (MB)
    Total:                                    13.752 (MW) /    110.018 (MB)

Any ideas? This is reproducible for different molecules and on different compute nodes. Input is pretty simple:

ClO2 test BCCD

memory 5 gb

molecule = {
0 2
Cl
O 1 R1
O 2 R2 1 A
R1=2.03230554
R2=1.20810395
A=115.36876732

}

set {
reference rohf
basis aug-cc-pwcvqz
print_MOs true
print 2
scf_type pk
guess sad
freeze_core -2
}

energy(‘bccd’)

I can confirm there error with my psi4 (latest conda psi4), but can offer no explanation.
It works with smaller basis sets.

The error means there is a problem writing metadata for a data entry but I am not familiar with this part of the code.

Thanks Holger for taking a look. Yes, the same input works for awcvtz. The same problem also occurs for a frozen-core calculation with av5z. So definitely a size thing.

I’m fighting too many other issues to deal with this one, but it’s worth adding to the issue tracker.

One technical correction: this specific error message happens before Psi tries to write any files. It happens when Psi tries to move to the start of a file (SYSTEM_LSEEK). If you can reproduce this stably, the first thing I’d do is add a “file exists” check to the function.

Thanks Jonathon. I’ve reproduced it with CCSD as well and am checking a closed-shell calculation now. Up until it dies it’s certainly writing to a lot of files (100 GB or more), so I guess the first thing is to figure out which new file is it getting ready to write to when it dies.

I don’t have a fix probably, but it would be helpful to know if you see the same behavior after adding the option

cachelevel = 0

Thanks Rollin, I’ll check it out.

I’m testing a bit more, but setting cachelevel to 0 seems to have fixed it. Might be worth a note in the docs that this doesn’t just affect memory issues but can show up as IO errors as well (for some reason)

yep, problem solved. Thanks all!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.