Frequency calculations result in `<built-in method X of PyCapsule object at Y> returned NULL without setting an error`

I thought so. You’re using an older version of dev Psi. Download the nightly from here.

That’s odd because I downloaded the Nightly version from there.
Would the issue be that I installed the python 3.6 version instead of the python 3.7 version?

No, because we have 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8 conda installs for the latest version. You’re absolutely sure the Psi you’re running is the newly installed conda Psi?

When I follow the instructions on that downloads page it downloads 1.4a2.dev78.
I think the issue is that my conda distribution does not realize there is a newer version
conda seems to think that this version is the newest version available.
I am running this on a linux machine

Oh, I forgot that operating system may make a difference here. Is this on Linux? Mac?

For either OS, there are more recent Py36 dev conda builds than dev78, so you shouldn’t be getting that… @loriab ping it is.

I am running this on a linux machine

What’s the output of these two commands?

conda list
which conda python psi4

How do you know that conda is downloading 1.4a2.dev78?

when I ran conda list it states
psi4 1.4a2.dev78+e512d40 py36h9a6a5e8_0 psi4/label/dev
psi4-rt 1.3.dev8 py36hce2b64c_0 psi4/label/dev
when I ran which conda python pis4 it gave me
/anaconda3/condabin/conda
/anaconda3/envs/p4env/bin/python
/anaconda3/envs/p4env/bin/psi4

uninstall psi4-rt (or at least v2rdm), as it hasn’t been updated recently and may have out-of-date constraints. you can always conda install dftd3 -c psi4/label/dev if you need d3.

I uninstalled psi4-rt and it still won’t work.

What I assume Lori meant was "uninstall psi4-rt, then conda install psi4 python=3.6 -c psi4/label/dev" to try the installation without psi4-rt. That’s the same command as from the link I gave earlier, but without psi4-rt. Change install to upgrade if you’re told that Psi4 is already installed.

When I run that command it installs the same version of psi4 1.4a2.dev78+e512d40.
When I go to the anaconda website and search for the psi4 package it lists the development version as being 1.4a2.dev78+e512d40.

@loriab ping again. It does strike me as strange that version is listed as the dev version when there are more recent conda installers labeled dev.

I am trying to install psi4 version psi4-1.4a2.dev478+f722895 into my environment but it is not working

Did you install psi4 dev into an empty environment? (If not please try?, see docs below)
Could you give us the full conda list output?

Conda thinks there are some constraints that limit you to the old version and it is not obvious what it could be.

(https://docs.conda.io/projects/conda/en/latest/user-guide/tasks/manage-environments.html#creating-an-environment-with-commands)

Here is what I get when I run conda list

Name Version Build Channel

psi4 1.4a2.dev478+f722895 py36h7aa5fe5_0

This was installed in an empty environment

It should be a big list of more than 20 items.

Do not say “it is not working” and leave it there. Describe how it is not working. This is a general rule for technical support. Not following it means it takes more of your time and more of our time to get the issue solved. What exactly do you mean by “it is not working”?